Friday, March 16, 2012

fear the (green) beer

Anyone who knows me well knows that I have never, ever, ever had a green beer.



I love holidays that are an excuse for some drinking (not too much, hangovers are no fun and not cute when you're pushing 40). I love beer, but I hate, hate food in odd, unnatural colors.  Don't know why, but it scares me, and the thought of eating or drinking anything that has been colored green, or blue, red, or black (shudder) makes me want to gag.

Celebrating St. Patrick's Day with a drink doesn't have to mean a green tongue. 

There are plenty of good, regular-colored Irish beers (Guinness, Harp, Murphy's, etc.).  If beer isn't your thing, check out some Irish inspired cocktails.

These two sound the most interesting to me.

Black Velvet
1 part Stout
1 part Champagne
Fill a champagne flute halfway with the stout. Top off with champagne

Emerald Isle
1 part Gin
1 tsp Green Crème de menthe
2 dashes bitters
Pour the ingredients into an ice-filled cocktail shaker and shake well.
Strain into a chilled martini glass
(although that would be a bit green)

I won't be drinking any of that this year, but I am attending a St. Patrick's Day themed school auction, so I'm pretty sure there will be some green beer drinking. 

I'll need to be strong and try to look away.

3 comments:

  1. That Black Velvet sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had green beer either and I'm a beer lover. I guess that's what I get for living in Utah. I agree though, that Black Velvet does sound pretty tasty. I might have to try it tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...